A pair of electric car companies are back on the grid again after a summer of controversy surrounding their electric cars.
Jeep and Tesla are now back on track after a two-week hiatus following a series of news reports and a court order that called for the shutdown of a major factory where the two companies make their electric vehicles.
Jeeps and Tesla both made their first big announcements at the CES event in Las Vegas on Thursday (local time).
The two companies announced that they will build more than 300 electric vehicles, and they are also planning to build hundreds more by the end of 2020.
Tesla’s CEO Elon Musk said at the event that Tesla was “going to build 500,000 electric vehicles by 2020”.
While some automakers have been reluctant to build their electric car factories, Tesla has a strong presence in the US market.
It was the first company to announce plans to build an entire factory in the country, and Musk said that the factory would cost $1bn to build.
“We will build the largest factory in North America and I think we are going to be very, very successful in building it,” Musk said.
Musk also said that Tesla would soon begin selling the first of its vehicles in the States, and the company has also said it would start building its own cars.
Tesla has also announced plans to start selling the Model 3 in the United States by 2021.
Musky has previously said that it would be “totally wrong” to compare the electric cars to gas-powered cars, but that Tesla has not been “the only one that does it”.
The company also said on Thursday that it had not yet built its first factory in Europe.
The two electric car manufacturers had previously been embroiled in controversy, with some companies saying that they would shut down their factories if they had to, while others were less certain.
The US National Transportation Safety Board had previously ruled that Tesla had not complied with federal safety standards and was responsible for a series by its employees, including at a California factory where at least 14 people died when the factory went up in flames.
Tesla was also ordered to pay $465m (£330m) to the families of 14 people who died when it exploded after a worker accidentally set off a gas cylinder at a factory in Fremont, California.
The company has said that all the workers involved in the explosion were safely evacuated and the safety of the workers and the public was not endangered.
The federal investigation also found that Tesla did not do enough to warn workers that they were in danger of falling ill when the plant was being built.
It also said the company was not required to have a safety plan for the factory’s operations, but had not done so.